Sunday, February 28, 2010

and my heart's not breaking

Yes, today was the dreaded first day of work experience... the long awaited GERIATRIC REHAB ward. Strangely, it wasn’t as bad as I expected it to be. The people were super nice, and seemed to sympathise with me being surrounded by old people.

Luckily, I did little doing and much observing. Two times I had to observe by buddy nurse helping undress an old person so that he/she could go to the toilet. Other than that, I managed to keep my enthusiasm up and my lunch down.

Despite the old people smell surrounding the entire ward, I managed to cope with everything quite well. The physio lady was very nice, and made me join in the old people stretching. And yes, the old guys seemed to be amused at the fact that a young boy was doing stretches designed to make your legs and arms less sore ==’

But what this day brought to me was not that old people were hopeless and smelly, but that we were all going to become like this in the future. Sooner or later, we all will be in one of those beds, spitting out phlegm and needing help to go to the toilet. And yes, we will smell.

So I guess I’m saying that we all need to enjoy ourselves when we are young and healthy. Yes, we may have crappy lives at times, but we have better lives than those poor people doing 10 seconds of stretching and needing a rest.

All that aside, at the end of the day, me and Adrian went to sign off to the w/e lady. After doing so, we heard footsteps coming up the stairs, so Adrian decided to scare them. I would watch, and if it was somebody from ruse, I would stamp my foot and Adrian would then leap out and scare them.

Sure enough, Ben came into view so I stamped my foot. But at the last moment, this nurse walked in with Ben and Adrian ended up leaping on the nurse and scaring the crap out of her. As I recall, she was like ‘holy jesus’ and just walked off, while Adrian bailed the hell out of there and me and Ben were cracking up :D

All in all a good first day of work (Y)

O and I randomly remembered this song today which I could only remember the first few lines of:

You and I at the little toy shop

Buy a bag of balloons with the money we’ve got

Set them free at the break of dawn

Till one by one, they were gone...

rkim

6 comments:

  1. FAROUT, WHY WON'T THIS BLOG LET ME LEAVE A COMMENT?

    YOU ARE AN AWESOME BLOGGER RKIM

    "Other than that, I managed to keep my enthusiasm up and my lunch down."

    HAHAH ONLY YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay i like your writing style dude.
    glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW this is such an awesome blog. (Y) :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHAH ENTHUSIASM UP AND LUNCH DOWN :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. 99 RED BALLOONS :)

    ahhhhh i love that song

    ReplyDelete